Monday, January 19, 2009

Ayers Refused Entry into Canada


Bill Ayers, former fugitive and member of the terrorist group Weather Underground, now a college professor, was refused entry by Canadian authorities at Toronto airport. Ayers had traveled to Canada to speak to the Center for Urban Schooling at the University of Toronto.

"I don't know why I was turned back," Ayers said in an interview this morning from Chicago. "I got off the plane like everyone else and I was asked to come over to the other side. The border guards reviewed some stuff and said I wasn't going to be allowed into Canada. To me it seems quite bureaucratic and not at all interesting ... If it were me I would have let me in. I couldn't possibly be a threat to Canada."

Ayers is eager to present this incident as some kind of bureaucratic mistake, but it is obvious the Canadian government has banned Ayers entry because of his terrorist past. Ayers is a professor at the University of Illinois – Chicago, in the late ‘60s, early ‘70s, Ayers and his wife were members of a group that bombed the Pentagon, police stations, and other symbols of governmental authority. He and his wife were fugitives for eleven years until turning themselves in to authorities in 1980.

1 comment:

bullmoosegal said...

At least someone had some guts.